Our YouTube channel has become the main hub for all our recent videos. Local TV shows, videos of parades, special events...it all here!
- Visit The Basement Doctor's main YouTube Channel
- Basement Doctor Television News Videos and Features
- Product Videos - basement waterproofing, foundation repair, dehumidification, mold, floods
- Published Articles
Ask The Basement Doctor
Answers to frequent basement waterproofing, crawl space vapor barrier and foundation repair questions.
At The Basement Doctor, we get a lot of questions from people concerning their basements. Below are several of the most common questions asked, however, if you are unable to find the answer(s) you need, simply Ask The Basement Doctor.
- Q: Why does my basement leak?
- A: Water begins to build up around the foundation of your home then proceeds to seep through the walls and floor. The leading cause of water in your basement is the drain tile on the exterior of your home has begun to breakdown or become clogged as a result of the soil settling or poor installation.
- Q: Why is there a musty smell in my basement?
- A: The odor is caused by the dampness and high humidity. Mold thrives in a damp basement environment. This smell often results in increased respiratory infections, asthma, and allergies.
- Q: Why are the walls stained?
- A: Stains are evidence of dampness in that area of the wall or acidic residue. Acidic residue, known also as efflorescence, is a result of water that builds up on the exterior of the basement wall that then travels through the block.
- Q: Can I do anything on my own to correct the problem?
- A:Cleaning your gutters and regrading the soil away from the foundation of the home may help. If this doesn't correct the problem, please call The Basement Doctor®.
- Q: Someone told us that they would do exterior waterproofing in order to prevent the water from reaching the basement. Is this a good idea?
- A: Exterior waterproofing is often unnecessary and more costly. Pipes that are placed in the ground around the home become clogged and cracked because they are still exposed to the original conditions that caused the water to enter your basement to begin with. Soil settling is inevitable, and any pipes or tile installed in this environment will clog and break.
- Q: What type of warranty do you have?
- A: Waterproofing is warranted for the life of the home and is a totally transferable warranty. Foundation work depends on the type of work we do. We assure you we do have the best warranties in the industry, at absolutely no charge to you. We feel that the peace of mind that you gain from our work should be free.
- Q: Will this type of work increase the value of my home?
- A: Definitely! This will not only enhance the value of the house, the home value will increase by more than the cost to fix it.